Early Natural History of a Forested Area Near Dover, Ohio
Creators:Giles, Robert H., Jr.
MetadataShow full item record
Citation:The Ohio Journal of Science. v66 n5 (September, 1966), 469-473
A 41.5-acre area set aside for forestry research in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, is described, based on early-resident interviews, literature review, and comparisons with adjoining areas. Vegetational composition has not drastically changed since those early days, but frequency and ecological dominance have become modified. The area was first cut in 1900, was grazed through 1930, was burned in the mid-1930's, and was modified by forest management practices in the 1940 s. Animal populations have changed, since the time of the first white settlers (1761), due to modern land uses, for agriculture, wood products, and hunting. Understanding the history of a research area allows more valid interpretation of observations made in the area and will aid in problems of prediction of ecological phenomena.
Author Institution: College of Forestry, Wildlife and Range Sciences, Moscow, Idaho 83843
Rights:Reproduction of articles for non-commercial educational or research use granted without request if credit to The Ohio State University and The Ohio Academy of Science is given.
Items in Knowledge Bank are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.