Origin of the Medical Sciences Section of the Ohio Academy of Science
Creators:Dexter, Ralph W.
MetadataShow full item record
Citation:The Ohio Journal of Science. v66 n5 (September, 1966), 453-455
Beginning with the organizational meeting of the Ohio State Academy of Science 31 December 1891, papers were read sporadically over many years on medical subjects. At first these were prepared largely by biologists and from the biological point of view. In 1917 a section was created for Physiology, Anatomy, Bacteriology, and Pathology, and its name was changed the following year to Section of Medical Sciences. Medical doctors for the first time then joined the Academy in numbers, but the emphasis of that section remained biological. Beginning in 1929, the program has been medical in nature and, in recent years, many of the sectional meetings have been held in medical centers.
Author Institution: Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
Rights:Reproduction of articles for non-commercial educational or research use granted without request if credit to The Ohio State University and The Ohio Academy of Science is given.
Items in Knowledge Bank are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.