Further Studies on Inhibition of Growth of Spores of Penicillium Sp. and Aspergillus Sp. Isolated from the White Molds of Silages
MetadataShow full item record
Citation:The Ohio Journal of Science. v66 n1 (January, 1966), 64-68
Finely powdered commercial sulfur does not inhibit appreciably the growth of spores of the white mold, Penicillium sp. and Aspergillus sp. Diethyl sulfite in concentration of 7.38 grams/liter is found to be toxic to the spores of the white mold, and its toxicity is markedly increased by addition of lactic acid. Infrared absorption spectra studies of mixtures of sodium metabisulfite and sodium lactate indicate no interaction between the sulfite and the lactate ions. The use of a solution of lactic acid and sodium bisulfite on heating silage in the silo gave considerable reduction in the temperature.
Author Institution: Department of Chemistry and Department of Biology, Fenn College, Cleveland, Ohio
Rights:Reproduction of articles for non-commercial educational or research use granted without request if credit to The Ohio State University and The Ohio Academy of Science is given.
Items in Knowledge Bank are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.