Early History of the Department of Chemisty of the Ohio State University
Creators:Caley, Earle R.
MetadataShow full item record
Citation:The Ohio Journal of Science. v78, n3 (May, 1978), 129-135
Sidney Norton, appointed in 1873, was the first professor of chemistry at Ohio State, and for 20 years the only faculty member of the department. In these early years the annual student enrollment in chemistry was often less than 50. The growth of the department began in 1893 with the appointment of William McPherson as an assistant professor. By 1900, two more faculty members were added, and at the end of the first half century of its existence, there were 9 senior faculty members aided by a junior staff of about 40 assistants and graduate assistants. The undergraduate enrollment then totalled about 2,000 and the number of graduate students about 100.
Author Institution: Department of Chemistry, Ohio State University
Items in Knowledge Bank are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.