OSU Navigation Bar

The Ohio State University University Libraries Knowledge Bank

The Knowledge Bank is scheduled for regular maintenance on Sunday, April 20th, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm EDT. During this time users will not be able to register, login, or submit content.

Another Perspective on Point Pleasant Pottery Pipes

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1811/51167

Show full item record

Files Size Format View
PointPleasantfinal.pdf 17.88Mb PDF View/Open

Title: Another Perspective on Point Pleasant Pottery Pipes
Creators: Murphy, James L., 1941-
Keywords: Potteries (Clermont Co., Ohio)
Clay Tobacco Pipes (Clermont Co., Ohio) Manufacture
Issue Date: 1995
Publisher: Archaeological Society of Ohio
Citation: James L. Murphy, "Another Perspective on Point Pleasant Pottery Pipes," Ohio Archaeologist 45, no. 1 (Spring, 1995): 31-34.
Abstract: The history of three clay tobacco pipe factories at Point Pleasant, Clermont Co., Ohio, is briefly reviewed. Turn-of-the century photographs of two of the structures are analyzed, and evidence suggests that one, a large frame building identified as Jesse Grant's Tannery and "The Oldest Clay Pipe Factory in U.S.," was the Bainum & Peterson factory, also known as the Clermont Pottery and active ca. 1900-1913. It is currently the site of the Grant Memorial Church on Back St. The other building is believed to have been the earlier Kirkpatrick-Davis-Peterson Brothers pottery southeast of the bridge over Indian Creek. Distinctive pipe styles at the Bainum/Peterson Site (33CT-390), the Kirkpatrick-Davis-Peterson Brothers site (33CT-256), and the Tom Peterson Pottery, which stood at the northwest corner of the Route 52 bridge, are illustrated.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1811/51167
Bookmark and Share
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported This item is licensed under a Creative Commons License:
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported