OSU Navigation Bar

The Ohio State University University Libraries Knowledge Bank

Differences in Web-Spider Communities Associated With Three Old-Field Communities in Southwest Ohio

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1811/23325

Show simple item record

Files Size Format View
V089N4_088.pdf 1.758Mb PDF View/Open

dc.creator Cangialosi, Karen R. en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2006-07-07T02:32:25Z
dc.date.available 2006-07-07T02:32:25Z
dc.date.issued 1989-09 en_US
dc.identifier.citation The Ohio Journal of Science. v89, n4 (September, 1989), 88-92 en_US
dc.identifier.issn 0030-0950 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/1811/23325
dc.description Author Institution: Department of Zoology, Miami University en_US
dc.description.abstract Plant architecture is known to have an impact on web-building spider communities. Web-spider abundance and distribution were monitored in September 1986 and 1987 on three types of plots with distinct plant communities. Differences were seen in spider abundance, family composition, and dispersion patterns between spider communities in control plots of old-field vegetation and plots treated with fertilizer or sludge. These differences were apparently related to changes in plant species composition, height, and density associated with nutrient enrichment. Differences in family representation and overall spider abundance were seen in the fertilizer and sludge plots as a result of decreases in plant density and increases in plant height. Spiders in fertilizer and sludge plots were distributed in a clumped pattern; spiders in control plots were distributed either uniformly or randomly. Low web site availability because of low plant density in nutrient enriched plots and high plant density in control plots was most likely responsible for these dispersion patterns. en_US
dc.format.extent 1843463 bytes
dc.format.mimetype application/pdf
dc.language.iso en_US
dc.title Differences in Web-Spider Communities Associated With Three Old-Field Communities in Southwest Ohio en_US