OSU Navigation Bar

The Ohio State University University Libraries Knowledge Bank

Early History of the Department of Chemisty of the Ohio State University

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1811/22532

Show full item record

Files Size Format View
V078N3_129.pdf 651.2Kb PDF View/Open

Title: Early History of the Department of Chemisty of the Ohio State University
Creators: Caley, Earle R.
Issue Date: 1978-05
Citation: The Ohio Journal of Science. v78, n3 (May, 1978), 129-135
Abstract: Sidney Norton, appointed in 1873, was the first professor of chemistry at Ohio State, and for 20 years the only faculty member of the department. In these early years the annual student enrollment in chemistry was often less than 50. The growth of the department began in 1893 with the appointment of William McPherson as an assistant professor. By 1900, two more faculty members were added, and at the end of the first half century of its existence, there were 9 senior faculty members aided by a junior staff of about 40 assistants and graduate assistants. The undergraduate enrollment then totalled about 2,000 and the number of graduate students about 100.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1811/22532
ISSN: 0030-0950
Bookmark and Share